Halloween is just around the corner. Can you believe it? I swear I say it every day, but this year is flying by. I love dressing up for Halloween and really going for it. I love a day to let my geek flag fly. We like to gather with our neighbors and go all out … big party, trick or treating, hay ride, and more. Costumes are a must and I just recently got Tim to commit to couples costumes. Last year, we were Daenerys and Khal Drogo.
We haven’t decided on a theme for this year yet, I’ll keep y’all in the loop, but I wanted to compile a list of fun costumes. Here’s my top picks!
- Any Game of Thrones Character – This show is still one of the hottest out there and there’s so many ways to go. The list of characters are endless but my favorite suggestions are Jon Snow, Daenerys, Jamie Lannister, Brienne of Tarth (this is especially great for my tall girls), a White Walker, or a member of the Knight’s Watch. A fun family idea is Mother of Dragons where you dress up as the Khaleesi herself and your little ones are her dragons.
- Fortnite – this game is still so hot right now and with the new season update (I have a teenage son and husband – I know too much about this game) there’s so many “skins” or characters you can choose from. A lot of them you could probably create out of pieces you already own.
- The Incredibles – With the sequel finally making its appearance this past summer, I expect we’ll see lots of this costume. Also makes for a super (see what I did there?) family ensemble.
- The Royal Family/Wedding – What an event that was! And who wouldn’t wanna be Meghan or Kate for a day? This would be more of a DIY costume, but you’d definitely look stunning. I included a link to one of the portraits from the wedding but finding inspo for your costume should be fairly easy.
- Superheros – I’m a Marvel girl myself but there’s so many superheros to chose from you can’t go wrong. Also a great theme for large groups or families.
- Disney – Timeless, tried and true, you can’t go wrong with Disney characters. There are so many cool variations you can do, as well; one year I went as hipster Belle (“Men are so mainstream. I only date beasts”). I especially love all the fun make-up opportunities villains provide. A quick Pinterest search would provide lots of inspo.
- Mister Rodgers Neighborhood – there’s been a resurgence of respect for Mister Rodgers; I loved watching him with my Grandma while I was growing up. Sneakers and a red sweater and you’re set. There’s tons of characters in the neighborhood to choose from too.
- Met Gala Attendees – this may be harder to pull off but some of the looks from this years Gala were just incredible and iconic. So if you’re up for a bigger DIY challenge, this could be a High Fashion Halloween. I included a link to a gallery of images for you to peruse.
- Food – for some reason, I am seeing food costumes everywhere this year. Avocados, Tacos, Pizza, and so many more. These are fun and silly.
- Oldies but Goodies – Here’s a few options that aren’t necessarily “current” but are always good choice: Animals, Flapper, Pirate, Harry Potter characters, Dinosaur (this is never not funny to me), Pink Lady, Cheerleader, Where’s Waldo, Star Wars, Hocus Pocus … you get the idea.
If you are able to get out and celebrate Halloween, I totally think dressing up is the way to go. It’s such a fun opportunity to tap into that childlike wonder again for a night. Just pick a costume you like and go for it. Whether it’s store bought or DIY-ed, you can’t go wrong. And please share what you’re planning to be! I love to see what everyone comes up with.
I hope this list helps and gives you some good ideas to enjoy your spooky night! Hope you get lots of candy and don’t forget the “Mom Tax”; I get 50% of the Snickers collected by the kids *winkwink*.
All the love,